Saturday, October 18, 2008

In today's Globe: The Mystery of the Vanishing Bees

What I'm on about:

The calamity has been blamed on globalization, pollution, pesticides, crop monoculture, UFOs, viruses, mites, bacteria, global warming and a fungus. Most beekeepers blame the pesticide Imidacloprid, but hardly any scientists do. There are even some oddball Christians who say it's a sign of the end times, foretold in Revelations.

The French call it Mad Bee Disease. It's commonly called Colony Collapse Disorder, and it's not even certain when or where the trouble began.

I'll be doing some vanishing of my own tonight. By next Tuesday I hope to be shaking off the jet lag in digs just down the street from this place, and then who knows where.

I'll post from time to time.

6 Comments:

Blogger The Contentious Centrist said...

TG:

Go in peace, come back in peace, keep yourself safe and reap success in all your endeavors.

N.

11:42 AM  
Blogger Terry Glavin said...

Thanks for your very kind thoughts, Contentious One.

1:09 PM  
Blogger RadicalOmnivore said...

In my quest for real food and stradling that false divide between wild and domestic, I've been working on importing my own black bees to Baffin Island. There has been some success over in Greenland but they have a little more of a calmer micro-climate in the south than I do here on Baffin Island. Hence, I'm still stuck at the research stage trying to figure out how to customize a hive to help the colony survive the long and frozen winters without dying off or needing more corn syrup than the bees are likely to produce in Honey from our very short season. Working on a semi-subterranean prototype at the mo.
Our flowering plants tend to make up a bit of the difference by being prolific pollen producers.

I run a 100% David Suzuki Free home; I can't stand him or what he's come to represent, so I've ordered the Jacobsen book instead.

Cheers and bon voyage.

2:40 PM  
Blogger brian platt said...

Have a safe trip, Terry. Look forward to hearing about it.

4:50 PM  
Blogger thebookmistress said...

Godspeed and safe travels.

12:07 PM  
Blogger Mark, Ottawa said...

The hotel, or at least its building, I stayed in as a traveller in 1972 (don't remember the name) may just be visible on the right side of the street heading left.

Bon voyage,

Mark
Ottawa

12:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home