Saturday, April 18, 2009

I Vow To Resist The Urge To Cash The Cheque And Head Straight For The Track

It won't be easy, let me tell you. So, to balance things out, I will not resist the urge to be completely insufferable about it, mindful of course that my good fortune comes mainly from having merely noticed that culture and nature, human aspiration, natural beauty, language, history and social justice are inextricably intertwined.

I'm chuffed that my peers would also seem to agree that there is virtue in seeing that the voices of the proletariat are still heard in the land, and that writers of non-fiction should be recognized along with those involved in the production of poems and novels. It's mainly in those related trades that you'll find my predecessors: Gary Geddes. Patrick Lane. Jack Hodgins. Robert Bringhurst. P.K Page.

Damn fine company, and do notice: We are all islanders. Plus, at the event I get to sit beside the logger, rig slinger, Sto:lo grand chief and judge, Stephen Point, my commander in chief.

Jury Statement here.

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

congratulations.

12:05 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Congratulations Terry. Well-deserved.

Put it all on the Canucks winning the cup this year.

2:21 PM  
Blogger kellie said...

Great stuff, congratulations! What's that in old money?

3:37 PM  
Blogger The Contentious Centrist said...

Bravo, Terry.

4:25 PM  
Blogger Mark, Ottawa said...

'An award for "a right-wing shill" '.

Mark
Ottawa

4:56 PM  
Blogger Patrick Ross said...

Congratulations, Terry. You richly deserve it.

8:29 PM  
Blogger richard said...

Man, that's a helluva list to join! Congratulations, well earned.

12:00 AM  
Blogger JCWood said...

Congratulations! Don't resist that urge too strongly, just make sure you pick 'em carefully...

Well done. Well deserved.

12:06 AM  
Blogger Monica (aka monnibo) said...

Congratulations Terry. I look forward to meeting you at the Gala.

- Monica Miller

12:26 AM  
Blogger SnoopyTheGoon said...

Congratulations, Terry, it's a lot of valuable liquid you can purchase now.

Go islanders!

8:38 AM  
Blogger Bill Horne said...

live it up - well done ;-)

12:15 PM  
Blogger Babbling Brooks said...

BZ, Terry!

1:13 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Way to go Terry!

5:03 PM  
Blogger Will said...

Lend me a fiver.

I will pay you back.

next week honest.

Unlike these sycophants leaving comments -- JeW LovErs, Philo-semites and war criminals.

I am a palestinian kurdish tamil and you by your writings has made me a jewish nazi.

Give me my humus. We all invented it. Apart from the garlic.

5:25 PM  
Blogger Terry Glavin said...

Thanks everybody. And Will:

If you love HumuS so mUCh why don't you go lIve there?

Not in my name.

5:49 PM  
Blogger RadicalOmnivore said...

Actually, if you like Hummus Will, make it yer bloody self. It's easier to make than scratching your arse for pete's sakes.

Hmmmm....native dude in gold braid. Does he get a big white feather in his hat too?

That may be a deeply unfair question but twenty years plus in Canada is leaving me a cynic some days.

Waaay too much poverty in the resource colonies...and no shortage of the Federally created and protected elites.

8:55 AM  
Blogger cyirush said...

Congrats, Terry.

3:01 PM  
Blogger gumboot goddess said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

8:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home