Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Treating Muslims like children, tyrants like revolutionaries, far-rightists like friends

I looked at the heckler at the Labour meeting and imagined his life in an instant. As a man of the 1968 generation there must have been sit-ins and marches, along with vicarious thrills at the triumphs of communists from Cambodia to Cuba. I guessed that with communism dead he would have no difficulty in endorsing the new threat to the status quo from the radical right. I wasn’t disappointed.

Only rich Iranians wanted democracy, he declared. The true voice of the masses, the tribune of the people we must attend to and negotiate with, was Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

I have become so used to hearing leftists defending reactionaries I am no longer shocked. But my ‘68er surprised me with a form of bad faith I had never seen in the flesh before. Alongside me on the platform were three liberals from Muslim backgrounds: Ed Husain, who renounced the jihad lovers of Hizb ut-Tahrir and joined the Labour party; Shiv Malik, a secular left-wing journalist; and Rokhsana Fiaz, whose Change Institute works to diminish cultural tensions.

They shared the principles he professed to hold. But he looked through them. . .

- from Nick Cohen's latest, here. More about Nick here.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

November 28, 2007
Sissy-men (a poem)
Mimi Evans Winship
What kind of sissy-men get their fun

Whipping and jailing women who haven't done

Anything wrong. They minister hurt with glee

And blame it on Allah, but they're not fooling me.


I am a woman, and it makes my skin crawl

That my MidEastern sisters are held in thrall

To medieval horrors delivered by men

Who horde them as if they were pigs in a pen.


Under their burkas they are hidden away

From a modern world where ladies play

A major part in their nations' affairs.

Thatcher, Meir and Merkel reached the highest chairs.


I urge all enlightened women to join the attack

Should these violated victims ever dare to fight back.


Mimi Evans Winship

12:25 PM  
Blogger Terry Glavin said...

hell that's good.

2:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

from here . .

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2007/11/sissymen_a_poem.html

2:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home