Thursday, October 18, 2007

The Invasion of Great Britain: October 22-28, 2007

Not to worry. It's only me. I'll be among the British all next week for a whirlwind book tour and for visits with some disreputable fellow Jacobins besides. It's this book, published by the fine people at Saqi. My comings and goings should more or less follow in this fashion:

For the first day or two I'll be wandering around and enjoying myself and with some luck I'll be cadging drinks from the likes of this guy, and I hope to be in top form by the afternoon of Wednesday October 24, when I'm due to give a chat at Oxford, if you can believe it, at the Oxford University Centre for the Environment. Then back to London.

Thursday afternoon, October 25, I'll be doing the same unlikely sort of thing down in Brighton, at the Culture, Development and Environment Centre, University of Sussex. That evening I'm scooting back to London for the book launch, at Daunts Books, Holland Park. All comrades are welcome.

Friday afternoon, I'm at the Biological Sciences Department at the University of Essex at Colchester for another talk, then it's another race back to London for a live, half-hour conversation at 7 p.m. on that fine program, Little Atoms, Resonance FM.

Friday evening I'll want to be on my best behaviour when I'm out for pints in the vicinity of this place with various fellow Eustonards, and I'm very much looking forward to meeting The Big Fella, and Simon, and perhaps one or two from Harry's. A pressing civic duty is threatening to detain The General, but you never know.

The effort at best behaviour on Friday night is due to an appointment I've got for an on-air interview with this BBC 4 program at the cruel hour of 9:30 of a Saturday morning. And Saturday afternoon I'm off to spend some time probably looking out-of-sorts but I hope not too hung over to act the part of an obscure author standing around waiting for someone to approach him at the Kew Garden Bookshop. I'll wander around Kew and sober up first, I promise. I love Kew.

Then it's back to my swish digs, and then to Gatwick Sunday and home.

7 Comments:

Blogger kurt said...

I love Kew too. Food's good too and they do serve ale. Speaking of which, the best pubs are on Fleet Street; try the Old Bell.

9:55 PM  
Blogger The Plump said...

And the big fella now has a hotel room round the corner from you.

4:54 AM  
Blogger The Contentious Centrist said...

My advice is to pay a visit to your dentist before leaving for Britain. In case of a dental emergemcy, there is no guarrantee that you won't have to resort to self-administered treatment, like this poor guy here..

http://www.channel4.com/news/articles/society/health/man+pulls+out+own+teeth+with+pliers/939067

10:19 AM  
Blogger Mark, Ottawa said...

Swish indude!

Mark
Ottawa

2:06 PM  
Blogger Terry Glavin said...

Indeed, Kurt.

Gadge: Can't wait to get together.

Centrist: At least the Brits have some recourse to public health care for dentistry. But hey, we're Canucks. Pliers are for pansies. I use a hammer and chisel.

Mark: Too swish, I know (Note to self: Behave badly. Like obnoxious rock star).

2:44 PM  
Blogger richard said...

Have a lovely time, Terry.

10:30 PM  
Blogger Terry Glavin said...

Ta, Richard.

12:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home