Monday, December 18, 2006

Vote for This Liberal But For That New Democrat

Following upon this and that, there would be no contest at all for my vote either here or there.

Kirk Tousaw may well be a nice New Democrat, but if I had to choose between him (a former British Columbia Marijuana Party manager who has found the time to post 965 times on the Cannabis Culture Forum when he's not preparing a Charter of Rights challenge to win legal protection for smoking doobies with a "sacramental use" argument) and the Liberal Stephen Owen (a former Amnesty International adviser in South Africa and Yugoslavia, a senior expert at the IGAD Secretariat for Sudan peace negotiations, the chair of the South African Presidential AIDS Advisory Panel, an advisor to the Israel Palestine Center for Research & Information on Final Status Peace Negotiations, a moderator in Peace Building Policy with the Commonwealth Human Rights Initiative in Zimbabwe, for starters), who'd I choose?

Stephen Owen, Liberal, in Vancouver Quadra, hands down.

In Vancouver Centre, Hedy Fry, also a Liberal, is hampered by just one small problem, however: She's Hedy Fry. My comrade Jonathon's got her number here. Which leaves me more than pleased to confess that I'd vote for, campaign for, and wash dishes for her NDP oppponent, Randall Garrison.

Garrison, that unapologetic internationalist I profiled in my Chronicles column last year, came inches away from winning in Esquimalt Juan de Fuca last January, but for this:

The problem is a debilitating legacy within the NDP, and within the left in Canada, generally, that has resulted in a kind of political and cultural illiteracy about military policy. You can test for it yourself. Ask an NDP supporter this question: What is the NDP position on Canadian troops in Afghanistan? Chances are good the answer will be "Dunno." Ask the same question about Sudan. Or Haiti. You'll get the same answer. Dunno.

Garrison told me: "An independent foreign policy requires a strong military. . . People who serve in the Canadian Forces are ordinary people, and the `left' has distanced itself from people who do that service. We disdain that service, and we should not." And he was unafraid to say this:

You know, if you were a woman or a gay person, what happened in Afghanistan wasn't a war of occupation. It was a liberation.

Which set off conniptions here.

10 Comments:

Blogger Dirk Buchholz said...

Terry said:You know, if you were a woman or a gay person, what happened in Afghanistan wasn't a war of occupation. It was a liberation.
...............................
Well these Women of Afghanistan would beg to differ(but what would they know,being one of the only Womens org inside Afghanistan that have been fighting for years,and putting their lives on the line daily).Or see it a bit more critical,like many in the so called "left".That you dismiss as some how supporting the Taliban or some other reprehensible group or view point.

http://www.rawa.org/events/dec10-06_e.htm

Its(the Afghan situation) not as cut and dry or as noble as you would have us believe
Dirk
http://www.gimpchronicles.com/

7:29 PM  
Blogger tglavin said...

Bla bla bla.

Here are the women of Afghanistan:
http://www.afghanwomensnetwork.org/

Then read this:
http://tinyurl.com/cpeez

"Eighty-eight percent said they have an unfavorable view of the Taliban (62% very unfavorable). Only 8% said they have a favorable view. In the war zone, a lesser 47% described their view of the Taliban as “very unfavorable,” but 81% were unfavorable nonetheless.

"Perhaps most telling, 82% said that overthrowing the Taliban government was a good thing for Afghanistan, with just 11% saying it was a bad thing. In the war zone, 71% endorsed the Taliban’s overthrow while 16% saw it as a bad thing; in the north, 18% saw it as a bad thing.

"Equally large percentages endorse the US military presence in Afghanistan. Eighty-three percent said they have a favorable view of “the US military forces in our country” (39% very favorable). Just 17% have an unfavorable view."

So do I take my direction on this subject from the people of Afghanistan, or from some guy named Dirk?

And don't you have your own blog?

8:04 PM  
Blogger Dirk Buchholz said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:32 AM  
Blogger double-plus-ungood said...

Terry, your last link doesn't.

10:30 AM  
Blogger double-plus-ungood said...

And, for what it's worth, if you ask a Liberal supporter what their party's position is on Darfur, Afghanistan, or Haiti, they'll also respond "Dunno," so I'm not sure what point was being made there by Garrison.

10:47 AM  
Blogger double-plus-ungood said...

Sigh. Other than the fact that he's being rightfully critical of his own party.

Need to take bigger gulps of coffee in the morning to get up to speed faster. Sorry 'bout that.

10:57 AM  
Blogger tglavin said...

DPU:

No need to apologize. But to be fair, last year, when I interviewed Garrison, I think Liberals could have answered those questions about their own policy quite easily; I doubt you'd have encountered many who'd have said "Dunno." Nowadays, you would. But be fair again - the party's at sea on a number of policy issues at the moment. They've only now got themselves a new leader, and he's only now putting together his "team" and its specific policies.

2:02 PM  
Blogger Dirk Buchholz said...

Terry delete my first response also ,seeing as you deleted my response to your response.This is only fair.You refuse to let me respond,or just delete what you do not like.
Truth hurts I assume.
So I guess you will not be dropping by my "unusually intelligent blog for inspiration every once in a while",your words
Anyway either delete my whole response or none of it(do not presume you have the right to manipulate what I was saying,or meant to,by deleting selected parts of my response).
And we will just end this little pissing match.

Dirk

4:47 PM  
Blogger tglavin said...

". . . And we will just end this little pissing match."

That's why I deleted your post. I am not interested in having arguments with you or with anyone here. I'm certainly not interesting in allowing you to use this space for your rants. If you want to make an occasional comment here, fine. But I'm tired of being pissed on. So stop.

5:06 PM  
Blogger Dirk Buchholz said...

delete my first post also.Lets be fair I responded to your incorrect reading of my post(that started this Thread) you deleted.
One more thing ,just could not resist
on the women of Afghanistan this from an elected one to boot.
...............................
""Here there is no democracy, no security, no women's rights," she says. "When I speak in parliament they threaten me. In May they beat me by throwing bottles of water at me and they shouted, 'Take her and rape her.' These men who are in power, never have they apologised for their crimes that they committed in the wars, and now, with the support of the US, they continue with their crimes in a different way. That is why there is no fundamental change in the situation of women."
................................
anyway when you delete this post delete all my posts....

Dirk
PS( I have often been accused of always having to get the last word)but always with a smile

3:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home